NEW YEARS DAY HOLISTIC SKINCARE
Good Morning or should I say Good Afternoon? HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!
First Things First – DRINK WATER!
Did you have a nice time last night? Drink some champagne? A lot of champagne? That’s cool…While you power through your favourite cure for your head and tummy, here are a few suggestions on how to banish your lacklustre appearance and get your skin looking tiptop – and don’t worry you don’t need to leave the safe haven of your home as all these rescue remedies are in your own kitchen.
It should go without saying, the absolute best thing you can do, even if it seems like soda or coffee would be better, is drink lots and lots and lots of water. Alcohol is very acidic and very dehydrating and this can cause all sorts of skin conditions, from dullness to itching — even breakouts.
So wash that pint glass up and get yourself to the water cooler. Even better make yourself a tasty Green Juice – vegetables are full of water and will replenish your body with the vitamins that the alcohol has depleted and will make you feel better.
Green Juice Recipe
Big handful of spinach
3 stalks celery
1 green apple
1 medium cucumber
1″ piece of ginger
1/2 lemon, peeled
1 medium carrot
Now Let’s EXFOLIATE
Exfoliating will help to remove the dry and alcohol-damaged skin cells that are making your skin look dull and lifeless. Also the very act of scrubbing will bring blood to the surface of the skin, boosting circulation and improving your complexion in the process. Winner!
Natural Scrub Recipe
1/2 fresh lemon
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
1 tbsp of olive oil
1 tbsp of organic honey
1 medium sized tupperware bowl with lid
- Mix the lemon juice and olive oil in a bowl. Add the honey and whisk quickly until the ingredients bind together into a medium-to-thick consistency. You can add or subtract the amount of olive oil and honey that you use depending on how thick you want your scrub to be.
- Combine the sugar and mix. Use one half of a freshly cut lemon for every 1/2 cup of granulated sugar.
- Apply to clean face in gentle, circular motions. Rinse with cool water.
Benefits of the Ingredients:
- Lemon is a natural source of vitamin C; an ingredient commonly used to lighten sun and age spots and even out skin tone; it’s a natural astringent that tightens pores and brightens the complexion.
- Sugar is a natural exfoliator; a natural source of glycolic acid which evens out skin tone, cleans pores, and improves overall skin texture by removing dead, dull skin cells.
- Olive Oil is high in vitamin E, which soothes and heals skin; a natural moisturising ingredient often used for its anti-ageing benefits.
- Honey is a natural source of anti-oxidants making it a perfect ingredient for age prevention; a natural humectant so it locks water into the skin and keeps the complexion hydrated; the antibacterial properties benefit acne-prone skin by reducing breakouts.
Time to MASK
A simple hydrating mask will do wonders for your skin as it helps to remove toxins and at the same time moisturises. To be honest, this mask may do the trick better than anything and you may even feel your hangover go away just from applying this mask alone.
Oatmeal, Milk, and Banana Face Mask
1 tablespoon ground oatmeal
1/2 ripe banana
1 teaspoon milk
- In a small mixing bowl, place banana and mash with a fork into a lump free pulp. Then mix in of milk and tablespoon of ground oatmeal. Combine ingredients thoroughly.
- Using clean fingers, rub the mask onto face in a circular motion. Apply a thick layer so it sinks into skin.
- Keep mask in place for 10 to 15 minutes. Wash off with warm water and do not use soap.
- Splash cold water onto your face to close up your pores and pat dry with a towel.
Benefits of the Ingredients:
- Oats are full of antioxidants that fight free radicals, vitamins that are great for skin regeneration, they are nourishing and help to lubricate dry flaky skin and best of all they are good for all skin types.
- Bananas are nature’s botox. The rich potassium content helps heal blemishes at a faster rate. Contains potent antioxidants, including vitamin C, which destroy free radicals that cause wrinkles. Locks moisture into skin cells leaving them it looking and feeling softer.
- Milk is rich in lactic acid, an alpha hydroxyl acid that is known to improve the appearance of aging skin. Softens and smooths the face. Lightens dark spots and evens out skin discolorations. Hydrates skin by increasing its water retention capacity. Antioxidants in milk boost collagen production and improve skin cell function.
Move on UNDER EYE BAGAGGE
Head directly to your vegetable draw and cut yourself some cucumber semicircles. Placing cucumber on your eyes will help reduce the water retention in the eyes. This will reduce the swelling and puffiness around the eyes.