The better you look after your silk the better it will look after you!
All Sam Saunders - Holistic Living products are exquisitely tailored with a pure Italian Mulberry silk, it is a charmeuse weave and has a 19 momme count (the way silk is measured). Our vintage collection is created using a combination of vintage Japanese kimono silks and our beautiful Italian silks.
The vintage kimono silks come in a variety of different weaves, some are printed, hand painted or even embroidered – each one is completely individual and special. All these silks have been dry-cleaned prior to being used in our creations. As our Italian Silk is all made and dyed in the same way we know how it behaves when you wash it… unfortunately we cannot say the same about each piece of unique vintage silk. As such we recommend that you dry-clean or sponge wash the vintage creations.
LAVENDER FILLED EYE PILLOWS AND NECK ROLL CARE
Our lavender filled eye pillows and neck rolls should be sponge washed – do not immerse in water. After time the scent of lavender will fade, to prolong and rejuvenate the aroma simply rub the dried pieces of lavender gently between your fingers 3-4 times and the scent will rejuvenate.
EYE MASK, PILLOWCASE, ROBES & SLEEPWEAR CARE
So how to wash your Italian silk?
Silk is a delicate protein fibre as such biological powders will literally eat it away, and heat will literally cook it (both the heat from an iron and from the sun will affect it.) In addition bleach (acid) and Alkali environments are also not good for it.
- Preferably hand-wash using warm water with a non-alkali soap and neutral or mild acid pH water.
- Alternatively if your washing machine has a hand-wash cycle or wool cycle, there is no problem using that setting with a non-biological powder.
- After washing use a towel to remove excess water before drying flat. Do not wringing your silk out as this will damage it’s fibres.
- Lay flat to dry – avoiding direct sunlight and heat. Try laying it on top of the same towel you used earlier
- If you decide to iron only use a low heat.
If you treat it right, your Sam Saunders - Holistic Living silk will last a very long time!